Monday, January 30, 2012

A Night in the Life of...

It's 5:56 PM and I'm sitting in the back seat of my car pool, eating candy. It's Monday and I'm stressed and besides, it's race week and I'm carb-loading and candy has carbs, right?

It's 6:07 PM and I'm giggling and chatting with my car pool-mates, who also happen to be my mom and sister, enjoying a steady ride through evening traffic mixed with the joyful banter of three very related women.

It's 7:15 and I'm walking through the door, laying down my heavy tote and large purse, proof of my girl-scout-like-desire to "always be prepared", even though I never was a girl scout.

It's 7:16 and I'm teasing hubband. I laugh loudly as he swoops in for a kiss and I dodge him. Ever a child, I poke his ribs and he wraps his arms around me and squeezes me. Our typical end-of-the-day-after-work hello.

It's 7:30 now and I'm tightening the laces on my running shoes. I give my ponytail and final pull and we head out. A nice, easy 5 mile run. I smile, enjoying the fact that 5 miles, is now more than bearable, it's nice and easy. We've worked hard to come this far.

It's 9:00 and we're heating up dinner. We've just recently made it in the door and we're famished. We enjoy our carbs with a touch of witty banter and sarcasm, as we discuss the major events of the day.

It's 9:45 and we're cleaned up, in bed, enjoying our nightly staple and a cuddle. I grab a break from the routine and set my fingers to typing. And, with a yawn, I wind it down, enjoying an accomplished feeling mixed with the release writing provides.

At 10:57, the lights will be off, and amidst the loud breathing of the man beside me, those heavy philosophical thoughts will float through the airspace, their typical nighttime routine. I will thank God. For my hubband. For our bed and our life. For salvation. Gradually, my mind will give way to sleep, and our bodies and minds will subconsciously prepare to wake up to jobs we don't deserve, lives we're blessed to live, and opportunities we didn't ask for. And we will have joy.

Joy for every little minute of the day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...