Monday, July 16, 2012

Break Taking and other Healthy Habits

You may have noticed that we've been absent for a bit. Or not. That's okay too. We can still be friends, I get it, you're busy, it's cool.

I needed a break. From social media, which, to me, very much includes blogging, because I definitely feel connected in the blogging world. But don't worry [I know you weren't worried], we're back now.

Notice how I only said I needed a break. Hubband doesn't really seem to have a problem over-doing it on the social media spectrum. 

Anyhoo, aside from the obvious reason of going away (putting an entire home together, maybe?), I felt like social media was taking out of my life, not adding to it. So, I did the healthy thing and I "unplugged" if-you-will. No facebooking, no twitter-ing, and no blogging. I didn't even check them out, unless necessary (do we really need to plan EVERY life even on Facebook?), and I feel much better for it. Don't get me wrong, I happy-puffy-sparkly-hearts love social media.I love people, and I love hearing about people and talking to people, and interacting with people in the social-media-kinda-way. But, I don't think I'm too far off on needing breaks, just check out this article.





Don't think social media/the internets was driving me mad. I'm not crazy [promise]. But like other things every other thing in my life, ever, I tend to overdo it, and when I do, I start feeling insecure, like I need more, like I don't have enough. I'll feel jealous about things that I didn't even know about and bothered about things that I don't even care about.

I think that our brains were meant for occasional solidarity. I think our brains were meant for sunshine and face-to-face conversations, and I personally think my soul thrives by reading my leather-bound bible and writing in my recycled-paper notebook. And I think the internet should be used for good, not for evil, because it's really an awesome thing. In reasonable doses.

It's all about balance, right?



What do you think? How do you strive for balance and do you need breaks too?

10 comments:

Katie said...

I am the same way with social media, I love it, so I think sometimes I get in too deep and have to majorly get a slap in the face (usually in the form of a nice big break) to snap myself out of it.

I actually just deleted Facebook, which was a huge and very needed step for me. I'm good with Twitter & Blogging, but Facebook really had to go.

Robin said...

Haha I love all the elephants! I agree completely with unplugging. I love blogging but I feel the more I get into it the more time consuming it becomes. I do my best to get balance by writing a bunch of posts at once and scheduling them, so I don't feel the need to get on every day, only when I feel like reading! I also don't write posts on weekends so I can recharge and give my eyes a break! But I'm so glad you're back! :)

The Pink Growl said...

I feel like that sometimes! I definitely agree that we all need time to unplug ourselves and disconnect. I try not to blog on weekends because that way I can actually live my life and have something to blog about.

Lindsey said...

I can def relate with the social media. I get in way too deep and I know it's bad when Garth has to beg me to put my phone down!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

balance is such an awesome part of our lives....

Newlyweds on a Budget said...

I often feel bleh about social media. I don't do it too much for myself, but I do social media for work so I am constantly online. Thats why I really enjoy my weekend where I literally unplug and stay as far away from the computer as possible.

t said...

Nice post!

http://initialed.blogspot.com

mrs. tabb said...

Two things:
1. I hear ya sister. Sometimes I wanna jump off of everything and leave social media alone.
2. Wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog... I accidentally delete it on my freaking iPhone and can't get it back!

:)

Laken said...

I've never felt to attached to media. I guess that's why I'm constantly not charging my phone, but I can see how people can feel bogged down by it sometimes. I really like how you were so honest about caring about things you didn't even knew you cared about. I find myself doing the same thing but then I think..." I'm very happy and I really like where I am in my life.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Life gets busy and sometimes it's too much pressure to keep up with social media. Take a break girl, You deserve it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...